Thursday 6 November 2014

Adding a Contemporary Element to an Elizabethan Hairstyle

In class, we created an Elizabethan hairstyle that had contemporary elements to it, and I found this quite challenging as I was not completely sure what contemporary element I wanted to have in it, despite knowing that I would like braiding somewhere.




As an attempt at a similar looking plait to the Sam McKnight style, I placed a plait rising from the bottom of the hair behind a heart shaped hairstyle. However I was not really sure what to do with the end of it as my partner's hair was not long enough. This was good to practice as I then knew that this was not what I would want in my final design, and so I decided to go for plaits on the side of the head instead.
 

I believe that these photos show my improvement when it comes to a heart shaped hairstyle, as I was able to create more symmetrical shapes and fasten the hair so that it would not flail about or become dislodged and uncomfortably loose for Chloe. I also did not have a lot of hair at the front for the curls and created smaller, more ringlet shaped curls which I believe is more historically accurate and looks more Elizabethan. I didn't want to make the round shapes too high as her hair was not long enough, however if her hair was longer I could have made a larger heart shaped hairstyle, but I think that both are aesthetically pleasing. I now feel more at ease with padding and creating larger hairstyles than when I first started, and despite feeling like I need a bit more practice, I feel a lot more capable. I believe that portrait research has also been helpful in that I am able to gauge what is an Elizabethan hairstyle and what isn't, and can recognise that what I have created isn't necessarily historical.

No comments:

Post a Comment